A dental exam can include some or all of these procedures:
- Health History
- Examination and Treatment
Tell your dentist:
- If you smoke.
- About any health problem or medical condition you are being treated for.
- About any changes in your general health.
- About any allergies you have.
- About any medicine you are taking.
- About any changes in medicine since your last visit
- About any dental or mouth problems you have.
- About any way the dental office could make it easier for you to get around (if you have a cane, a wheelchair, or a walker).
- About stress in your life, because stress can affect your oral health.
Examination and Treatment
Everybody needs regular dental exams. The reason is simple: even if you brush and floss every day, you cannot see all the parts of your own mouth.
Your dentist looks for gum disease, cavities, loose fillings, broken teeth, infection, cancer and signs of other problems that could affect your general health. Many small problems can be caught before they get big. Many small problems can be treated right away.
When your dentist is finished the dental exam, you will be able to ask questions and seek advice.